Loss of Radial Artery Pulse after Coronary Catheterization Through Trans-radial Route in Patients Acute Coronary Syndrome

Authors

  • Usman Hanif Bhatti National Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases, Karachi, Pakistan
  • Mubashir Hussain National Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases, Karachi, Pakistan
  • Naveed Ullah Khan National Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases, Karachi, Pakistan
  • Faisal Qadir National Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases, Karachi, Pakistan
  • Muhammad Tariq Farman Dow University of Health Sciences, Karachi, Pakistan
  • Khalid Iqbal Bhatti National Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases, Karachi, Pakistan

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.47144/phj.v56i1.2483

Abstract

Objectives: The objective of this study was to determine the frequency of loss of radial artery pulse after one month of the coronary catheterization through trans-radial route in patients diagnosed with acute coronary syndrome (ACS).

Methodology: A sample of consecutive patients diagnosed with ACS who undergo coronary catheterization through trans-radial route were evaluated for the loss of radial pulse through color Doppler ultrasound and clinical examination (palpatory) after one month of the intervention.

Results: A total of 115 patients were included, 107 (93%) of which were male patients, and mean age was 57.1 ± 9.9 years. Among these, 99 (86.1%) were diagnosed with ST elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI) and remaining 16 (13.9%) had non-ST elevation ACS. Only left heart catheterization was performed in 9 (7.8%) and 106 (92.2%) underdone percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI). The most commonly observed co-morbid condition was hypertension (47%) followed by diabetes (38.3%). A total of 72 (62.6%) were categorized as overweight/obese with body mass index of ≥ 25 kg/m2. The loss of radial artery pulse was noted in three (2.6%) patients at one month follow-up through both palpatory method and color Doppler ultrasound.

Conclusion: The loss of radial artery pulse was noted in a significant proportion of patients after one month of coronary catheterization in patients with ACS. Both palpatory assessment method and color Doppler ultrasound showed full concordance in the identification of patients with radial artery occlusion.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.

Downloads

Published

2023-04-01

How to Cite

1.
Bhatti UH, Hussain M, Khan NU, Qadir F, Farman MT, Bhatti KI. Loss of Radial Artery Pulse after Coronary Catheterization Through Trans-radial Route in Patients Acute Coronary Syndrome. Pak Heart J [Internet]. 2023Apr.1 [cited 2024Apr.23];56(1):82-6. Available from: https://pakheartjournal.com/index.php/pk/article/view/2483

Issue

Section

Original Article